How do I apply?
Go to www.mybenefitscalwin.org
- Fill out the whole application form, if you can. You must at least give the County your name, address, and signature (question 1 on page 1 of the application) to begin the application process for CalFresh.
- Each program has a symbol (shown at the top of the page) showing what questions pertain to what programs. Cash aid has a dollar sign as the picture. CalFresh has the picture of a shopping cart, and health coverage has the picture of an ambulance. For example, if you are not applying for cash aid, you do not need to answer questions marked only with a dollar sign.
What do I do next?
- You must have an interview with the County to discuss your application. If you have a disability, other arrangements can be made.
- If you did not fill out all of the application, you can finish it during your interview.
- You will need proof of your income if any, or your Unaccompanied Verification letter issued by your district.
How long will it take?
- It may take up to 30 days to process your application for CalFresh, cash aid, and Medi-Cal may take up to 45 days. Ask the County how to get your benefits or health care right away if you have an emergency.
You may be able to get CalFresh benefits within 3 calendar days if:
- Your household’s monthly gross income (income before deductions) is less than $150 and your cash on hand or in your checking or savings accounts is not more than $100.
What if I am homeless?
Please let the county know right away if you are homeless so they can help figure out an address to use to accept your application and get notices from the county regarding your case. For CalFresh and cash aid, homeless means you are:
- Staying in a supervised shelter, halfway house, or similar place.
- Staying at the home of another person or family for no more than 90 days straight.
- Sleeping in a place not designed for, or normally used as, a place to sleep (a hallway, a bus station, a lobby, or similar places).