John Burton Advocates for Youth Logo

You applied for financial aid, now what?

Apply for the Chafee Grant at, if you are eligible.You only need to apply once.

Create a WebGrants 4 Students Account at after your FAFSA or CADAA is processed, which can take 1-2 weeks. Check for thefollowing:

  • Check your Cal Grant and Chafee Grant award status (Awarded, Pending or Not Awarded) and verify if there are any “pending” items or “To-Do’s” that need to be completed.
  • Confirm that your “School of Attendance,” the college you plan to attend, is accurate.
  • Verify that your GPA has been received and matched to your application in order to receive the Cal Grant. If not, contact your high school counselor or the California Student Aid Commission.
  • Self-certify your high school graduation date AFTER you graduate.
  • If you applied for the Chafee Grant, check that your “Department of Social Services Record” is complete to verify your foster youth status. This is updated monthly.

Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) to learn about your eligibility for federal student aid.If you provided an email on the FAFSA, you will receive it within 1-2 weeks. Learn more at

Check your email and college student portal weekly.The college will communicate with you if they need more information. Even after college starts, continue to check it often.

Respond promptly to any information requests to provide verification in order to receive your financial aid:

  • If verification of foster youth status is requested:
  • Current foster youth: Contact your social worker, probation officer or Independent Living Program (ILP) Coordinator.
  • Former foster youth: Contact your county child welfare agency, local ILP program or the State Foster Care Ombudsman’s Office: 1-877-846-1602
  • If you did not file taxes, you may be required to submit an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter. Learn more by visiting

Update all of your accounts if your address, email or phone number changese.g. WebGrants, college portal, FAFSA/CADAA, etc.

Apply for other scholarships and campus support programs for foster youth, such asEOP, EOPS, NextUp, Guardian Scholars, or Disability Student Services. Learn more here:

Need help? Contact your Independent Living Program (ILP) Coordinator, social worker, probation officer, or high school counselor.

Questions about the Cal Grant, Chafee Grant, WebGrants or CADAA? Contact the California Student Aid Commission at 1-888-224-7268, or visit

Questions about the FAFSA or federal student aid? Visit, call 1-800-433-3243, submit questions at contact or use live help through the online FAFSA